Makeup That Lasts 26.2 Miles

Last year I ran a really great trail race on Lake DeGray.  I knew the trail very well, and placed second out of the women and thirteenth overall.  I know this is so vain and please don’t think less of me for my next statement.  I was not happy with the photo that was taken afterwards:

Me and My Medal

It was raining very hard that day and I didn’t wear makeup because I didn’t have anything that was truly waterproof.  I didn’t expect to place and have my photo taken (that also explains the weird clothes).  Since my hair is light and my eyelashes are blond, I look sick if I don’t wear mascara.  My eyeballs also disappear into my face and I look like a boy.

I made it my mission to find makeup I could run in and not look dead or like a raccoon.

Makeup that will last a marathon

Y’all know I am not a wiz at applying makeup.  I can utilize basic eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush, and mascara and I really didn’t know where to start looking for the magic makeup I needed.  I took a leap of faith and walked into Sephora.  On my first visit, I purchased Dior Diorshow Iconic Waterproof Mascara and Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Pencil.  The Diorshow was waterproof and worked pretty well, but it kind of gave out after about 14 miles.  It didn’t run down my face; it just kind of flaked off.  The Urban Decay eyeliner was a total flop.  It wouldn’t stay on my eyes during a normal day, so I never tested it on a run.

On my second visit, I was introduced to Blinc Mascara Amplified.

Super Waterproof Mascara

Now, this mascara is totally waterproof.  It lasts.  I have worn it for half marathons, 20 mile training runs, and marathons.  Blinc mascara also has a deep black color and provides nice volume and length.  Best part, it comes off simply with soap and water.  I don’t understand that part, but it is super awesome chemistry.  Lol, I have a minor in chemistry.  I could figure out the molecular interactions and it explain it, but I am going to assume that you care less than I do 🙂

I had kind of given up on the eyeliner part, but on my next visit to Sephora (to purchase my second tube of Blinc Mascara), I asked again.  A helpful lady encouraged me to try Stila All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner.

Super Waterproof Eyeliner

This was the Thursday before my last marathon.  I wasn’t planning on wearing the eyeliner during the race, but something happened.  The morning of the marathon, I jolted out of bed at 5:15.  I had slept through my alarm and needed to be in Little Rock in 45 minutes! I hadn’t washed my face the night before (how awful), so I glanced in the mirror expecting an awful mess, but it was all still in place.  I went with it, and ran out the door.

So, in the very pin-able photo above (hint-hint), I am wearing mascara and eyeliner that lasted an entire day, night, and 26.2 miles of running.  I did not wipe under my eyes one single.  This combo is magic.

In summary: Diorshow Iconic Waterproof Mascara is great for distances less than 13.1 miles and everyday wear.  For longer distances, funerals, and weddings: Blinc Mascara Amplified and Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eyeliner.

I purchased all of these cosmetics with Aaron’s money.  I am providing this review to help you guys not look like raccoons while busting your tails running or at the gym 😉

Comments

1. I’m not running a marathon anytime soon (or ever) but I’m always in search of some eyeliner that will stay put through a work day. Going to have to give this a try.

• Ashley Ederington says:

Never say never, Karen! I said I would never run a marathon too, and you see where that has gotten me!!!

2. Love you marathon makeup tips! I avoid mascara at all costs…it makes my eyes feel tired! My running in makeup is always accidental during after work track workouts and where I also forget I have it on until after wiping my sweaty face on my shirt and realizing that my shirt is now makeup splotched! Oops.

• Ashley Ederington says:

I never wear makeup on my training runs, unless it is leftover from something else. You should try this mascara. It isn’t goopy like most.

3. Thank you so much for this post!! I read your blog all the time but this time I had to comment. I have really struggled in this area and I can’t wait to try these products!!

• Ashley Ederington says:

Thanks for commenting! Don’t be a stranger! Trust me, makeup is one of my biggest struggles and at the age of 32, I am just now learning how to use more products than eyeliner and mascara! Kind of sad!

4. Blinc is my favorite mascara – I love that it stays on so well, but it’s easy to wash off and I don’t get raccoon eyes. I’m a bit of a Sephora addict! Visiting from the SITS tribe building challenge – nice to meet you Ashley!

• Ashley Ederington says:

Blinc is awesome! I love Sephora too, but it kind of scares me sometimes! Look forward to connecting with you!

5. Carolyn Y says:

I’m coming from the SITS tribe building and so glad I read this post. This year my goal is to run 400 miles, #400milesin2014. I’ve been actually wondering what mascara I could run in, I just had to pin this post!

• Ashley Ederington says:

That is an awesome goal! I would say finding the right shoes and mascara are the most important parts of running LOL!!!

6. I have to try these mascaras! But I love this post…I dont think its vain at all to want to still look your best after running! Stopping by from the SITS tribe building!

• Ashley Ederington says:

Thanks for making me feel better about my vanity lol! Thanks for stopping by and I can’t wait to build our group!

7. Hi! I’m part of your SITS blogging tribe. I’m horrible with makeup! I just started trying to wear eyeshadow this year. 🙂 I’ve yet to find mascara that doesn’t make my eyes itch. One day I’ll get it all together. Glad you were able to find makeup that worked for you so you can get your glam on as you collect your trophies! 🙂

• Ashley Ederington says:

Oh Tonya, I am horrible with makeup too! I just learned how to use blush and I’m 32! I’m really trying hard to do better, but, well, I’m just lazy…

8. and now I know the secret to how some runners look just as great after the race as they did before it!!
    (sits TRIBE sister)

• Ashley Ederington says:

Laura, some ladies have perfected a full face of makeup that lasts. I am still working on that and I’ll share the products if I ever find them, but I’m just happy with having “eyes” in my after pictures for now lol

9. Ah, a true Arkansan girl wears her makeup to a marathon. You’ll be happy to know that I am starting running with my mom—she’s guilted me in. But don’t expect me to wear makeup on my runs! I’m not that talented.

What do you think?